However, most make little or no headway in the social space, with only a few dozen friends and employees to their name. Some don't even get that far. Time and again, companies find themselves asking the same question – how do I stand out? Hopefully, this blog will point you in the right direction.
My top 10 tips to boost your following on social media:
- Focus on your key social media channels instead of flirting with the likes of social bookmarking and location-based games
- Advertise social media accounts on your homepage and across your promotional literature
- Always post links to your own content such as blogs, press releases, white papers, pictures and videos
- Don't be afraid to post links to interesting content produced by others
- Engage directly with social media opinion formers
- Recommend the best social media accounts by mentioning them in updates and including them on Twitter lists
- Go to networking events for people in your industry
- Stage your own events to boost brand awareness
- Create competitions to reward new followers and those who help raise the profile of your company
- Have a sense of humour when things take an unexpected turn – social media isn't an exact science!